Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

'Burn all Muslims' reads the graffiti found all over Leeds today, according to the news. To be honest, I'm surprised it's taken so long for people to brand all Muslims in the same way they have the boys who bombed London last week. The morning of the bombings I went in to my paper shop to hear the manager having a rather aggressive conversation over the phone. He hung up, and said to me 'Bloody Arabs, I dont have time for them, especially after what they did to London today.' In the week I was sat in my local, overhearing a man talk of 'those Muslims' meeting in 'their synagogues' (nice one, Mr Well Informed) talking about how to kill 'us British'. In my last post I was talking about being scared, and here again, we find another example of British people who frighten me.

So yes, there are more than enough ignorant people dwelling here, and I'd like to think the average person would be more aware than that, but probably not. The people behind these bombings are just 'extremist Muslims' interpretting the idea of 'Holy War' in a more modern setting, right? No, not in my opinion anyway. These people aren't Muslims, they just think they are, and had they not just blown themselves to bits, they could have done with a brushing up on their Qur'an.

There are several rules given for Holy War in the Qur'an and Hadith, such as no tree should be harmed, especially if it's bearing fruit. No sheep should be killed, no monastries destroyed etc. etc. So I'm looking through to find the part where it's acceptable to kill a load of innocent people on their way to work.
- “Fight in the cause of Allah. Do not be embittered. Do not be treacherous. Do not mutilate."
- "Do not kill the children, the aged or the women."
- "...let not hatred of any people seduce you that ye deal not justly." and "don’t be spiteful or unjust".

These London bombers were not Muslims, or at least, were not behaving in the way Islamic scripture tells Muslims how to behave. They were not acting in the name of Allah. Somewhere, along the way, they hugely misinterpretted what was written to guide someone in the path of being a 'good Muslim', and someone needs to put other misguided 'Muslims' straight... and whilst they're at it, could do with shaking a few other ignorant yobs, who think 'Burning all Muslims' is the way to get us out of this horrible mess.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home